Complaints policy

What happens when I make a complaint?

Once a complaint has been received, the team responsible for providing the service will investigate and send you a response within 10 working days. If you are unhappy with the response, you can ask the complaints team to review the decision made.

We may not review your complaint at the next stage where we have demonstrated that:

  • Policies and/or procedures have been followed and are correct
  • Regulatory and/or legal requirements have been met
  • The complaint has been upheld at a previous stage and there is no reason for further review
  • The request is to aim for a higher level of compensation than previously offered and the compensation decision has been made in line with our policies and procedures
  • The complaint is from, or on behalf of, a customer who is not one of our residents
  • We have deemed your complaint request or behaviour as unreasonable

Independent review

If you remain unhappy with the decision, you can request that your complaint is reviewed. A member of our complaints team will discuss these options with you.

You must ask for your complaint to be reviewed within 21 days of receiving the complaint review response.

Any decision taken not to further review a complaint will be decided by the head of service or a more senior officer. Where the complaint is related to concerns about the safety of a property, the head of health and safety will be consulted. Where possible, any decisions will be discussed with you first and confirmed in writing.

You will be informed of your right to an external independent review through a designated person and/or the appropriate ombudsman service. If you are not a tenant or leaseholder, you do not have this right as the ombudsman service will only review complaints from residents.

If your complaint is not considered for review, we will give you an explanation as to why we’ve made the decision.

Once your complaint has been reviewed we will write to you to let you know the outcome.

What if I am still not happy with the decision?

If you are not satisfied with the final decision made, you can ask a designated person to review this or wait eight weeks to refer your complaint to the Housing Ombudsman Service. For decisions about any financial advice or equity loan before April 2014 you can contact the Financial Services Ombudsman.

Referring to a designated person

A designated person is:

  • a member of Parliament
  • your local councillor
  • a recognised tenant panel

Following the independent review response , you can refer your case immediately to a designated person who may be able to recommend other ways for it to be resolved. Alternatively, the designated person may also decide to refer the matter directly to the Housing Ombudsman.

Referring directly to the Housing Ombudsman

The Housing Ombudsman prefers that tenants follow the complaints procedure before opening a formal case with them. However, you may contact them for advice at any point during the process:

Other help

You can get help and advice from the following organisations:

Citizens Advice

Find your local office by visiting

Leasehold advisory service:

First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber)