Wet and slippery leaves on pathways and a drop in the temperature causing ice and snow can create the opportunity for potential slip and trips hazards over the winter months.

Our Estates Services team will clear hazardous snow, ice or fallen leaves from communal areas and paths. However, if you have your own balcony or garden it’s your responsibility to keep areas such as paths leading to individual front doors, drive ways, garden paths and balcony entrances clear and hazard free.

Wet leaves

Wet or decaying leaves can become slippery and cause falls. Make sure you sweep up any leaves that have fallen on to your pathway or balcony to help keep these areas safe.

It’s a good idea to think about what you’re going to do with the leaves before you start any clearance too. Most councils provide a garden waste collection service.

Rain water

Many slips happen near building entrances when people walk in rainwater or take shortcuts across grassy areas. As tempting as it is, try not to take any shortcuts over grass or dirt as they’ll be very slippery when wet.

If you do see any guttering that needs clearing or overflow pipes that are leaking over pathways and you’re worried they may be a slip hazard, please contact us and we’ll arrange for this to be fixed.

Ice, frost and snow

It’s a good idea to keep up-to-date on what’s happening with the weather during the colder months, so you’re prepared for any sudden changes in temperature or hazardous conditions.

If the temperature does drop or there’s heavy snow, clearing any snow and ice from the pathways outside your home will help make sure no-one falls and hurts themselves.

The Met office gives lots of tips on how to clear snow and ice during the winter months, and you can find out all the latest information and updates about the roads and pavements your local council grits in icy or snowy weather too.

Other ways to make sure you’re winter ready

Visit our #WinterReady page to find lots of tips and links to services that could help you this winter.

Contact us

Please contact us if you have any questions or you would like to report a communal repair.