How can we help you?

Contact us

If you have a question and need to speak to us, we want you to be able to contact us in the way that suits you best. We’re here to help you with your query, Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm.

Contact us

Table of Contents
< All Topics

What do I do if I have a blocked sink or drain?

You may be able to resolve the blockage using a plunger, or a household product for unblocking sinks and/or drains. If this doesn’t resolve the issue, please email us at or call us on 0300 456 2099 to arrange a repair.

So we can assist you fully, we’ll also ask you if any of your neighbours are affected and if there’s more than one blockage in your home. Please try to find this out before you contact us.

Was this answer helpful to you?
How can we improve this answer?
Need help?
Previous How do I request a new bathtub?
Next What do I do if I have no electricity in my property?