Planning permission was granted last night (Wednesday 1 May) for Catalyst’s 50 per cent affordable housing scheme in Oxford by the City Council.
The scheme, to be built on land at Armstrong Road in Littlemore, will comprise 270 dwellings, 92 of which will be houses and the rest (178) flats.
Fifty per cent of the homes will be affordable, with 80 per cent of those at social rent with the remaining 20 per cent shared ownership.
Members voted in favour of the development which will feature high quality design by architects PRP, as well as carefully thought-out landscaping, including open space, children’s play areas and car parking.
Ian McDermott, Chief Executive of Catalyst, said: “This is an exciting scheme that’s been in the pipeline for some time and we can’t wait to start construction. Littlemore Park is going to be a great addition to the area, and we are pleased to be adding to Oxford’s much needed development of affordable housing.”
Ben Williamson, Associate Director of PRP, said: “PRP is delighted that Littlemore Park has been granted planning permission by Oxford City Council. Designed around a rich natural landscape the development will provide much needed affordable housing in the city, whilst creating people-friendly streets and open spaces that will encourage a healthy and sustainable neighbourhood.”
The houses will be spread over two and three floors and have between two and five bedrooms, and the one and two bedroom flats will be set out over six apartment blocks of up to four storeys.
Catalyst will improve the public space which approximately 2.581ha of landscaping across the site and make a financial contribution of £50,000 towards general sports and leisure facilities in Littlemore.
In March 2016, the Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust gained outline planning permission for 270 homes on the site. Catalyst later purchased the site from the NHS Trust and submitted details plans to Oxford City Council in August 2018.
NOTES TO EDITORS
More information on Catalyst
Catalyst is one of the leading housing associations in London and the South East, and following its merger with Aldwyck Housing Group now manages over 32,000 rented and shared-ownership homes.
We are experts in placemaking and developing tenure-blind neighbourhoods, with a strategy in place that will see us build 1,300 homes a year by 2022. Our approach to creative design, effective urban planning and high quality development is underpinned by our long-term interest in our neighbourhoods. By adopting a stewardship role, we ensure that the places we help to create are well maintained, look great and remain desirable places to live. A prime example of Catalyst’s work is our flagship regeneration project in North Kensington, Portobello Square.
Catalyst Gateway, our social and economic investment arm, helps our communities grow with bespoke neighbourhood strategies that help deliver initiatives such as youth mentoring projects, after school homework programmes, exercise classes and much more. Catalyst Gateway also operates an individual offer to our most vulnerable residents, with services such as financial inclusion courses to help people with their money; parenting support classes for young families and employment courses for those out of work.
For more information, please contact:
Charlotte Stamper – Head of External Affairs
020 3693 2464 | 07815525365