From roots in Ealing and Kensington we’ve grown into one of the leading housing associations in London and the South East
In the early 1960s the UK was emerging from the aftermath of the second world war and although the economy was reviving, poor and overcrowded housing conditions persisted in many areas.
For a large number of people on low incomes, the only way to find somewhere to live was to rent privately. Accommodation was often very inadequate, tenancy agreements insecure and rents high.
The documentary Cathy Come Home (directed by Ken Loach and shown on TV in 1966) was instrumental in highlighting the issues of homelessness, unemployment and poverty and helped alert the public to the scale of the country’s housing crisis.
Ealing Family Housing Association
Against this backdrop, Ealing Family Housing Association (EFHA) was established in 1963. Founded by a group of Ealing residents, the association wanted to improve local housing conditions and provide housing opportunities for local people who could not compete on the open market.
Ealing Family Housing Association continued to grow and invest in affordable housing. In 1980 it set up Northcote Housing Association to provide low cost homeownership schemes. Four years later (1984) it took on responsibility for running the Southall Day Centre. In 1998 the Ealing Family Group (as EFHA and its subsidiaries were known) established Fortunegate Community Housing to take over and regenerate 1,500 homes from Brent council. In 2001 Ealing Family acquired Barnet’s residential care portfolio.
In 2006 Ealing Family Housing Association changed its name to Catalyst Communities Housing Association.
Kensington Housing Trust
In the 1920s the housing situation in north Kensington saw an average of 2.16 people to every room. Over 13,000 Kensington families lived in basements and many children slept on floors or chairs.
In 1926 the Kensington Housing Trust was founded, set up mainly by wealthy local residents who were horrified at the state of housing in the borough. Its first chair was Lord Balfour of Burleigh.
After considerable campaigning and fundraising the trust opened its first building (Crossfield House) in 1929. This purpose-built property provided accommodation for 36 families from slum tenements.
The trust recognised that housing should only be a part of their service so a benevolent fund was also established to help families go on holiday, pay for doctors’ bills and help residents leave London to convalesce.
In 2002 Kensington Housing Trust joined Ealing Family Housing Association and Northcote Housing Association to become subsidiaries of the Catalyst Housing Group.
On 30 September 2011, the member companies within Catalyst Housing Group became one organisation, Catalyst Housing Limited.