Reducing waste

You can save on waste by following the three R’s:  reduce, reuse, and recycle.


  •  Avoid purchasing products with excessive packaging
  • Filter tap water for drinking instead of buying bottled water
  •  Take your own shopping bags to the supermarket
  •  Reduce your food waste by following advice from ‘Love Food Hate Waste’


  • Purchase goods second hand where possible. This will not only save you money, but will help to prevent perfectly good items from being thrown away unnecessarily.
  • Instead of throwing used books, toys, clothing and other goods away, if they are in good condition, why not sell them or donate them to a charity shop?


Recycling household waste has never been easier. All councils in England provide recycling collections for households, free of charge. To find out how and what you can recycle and you’re your recycling collections are, visit your local council’s website.

Below are some common household waste items that most councils will recycle:

  • Plastic bottles, pots and tubs
  • Paper (newspapers, magazines, envelopes, catalogues, shredded paper and junk mail)
  • Cardboard (please remove any tape that may be stuck to the cardboard)
  • Food and drink cartons
  • Food and drink cans
  • Glass bottles and jars (no broken glass, drinking glasses, pyrex or window glass)
  • Aerosol cans (please remove caps and lids)
  • Tinfoil and trays
  • Yellow pages/telephone directories

Please rinse and recycle items if possible.

Disposing of bulky waste items

Bulks waste items such as mattresses, sofas, tables fridges, freezers and chairs can be disposed of by arranging a bulky item collection from your council or by taking the items to a waste disposal site or recycling centre. Items in good condition may be able to be donated for reuse by those in need or to raise money for charity. Visit your local council’s website to find out more.

Disposing of bulky waste items by leaving them on the street is called ‘flytipping’. Flytipping is a serious criminal offence in the UK and can carry a maximum penalty of an unlimited fine or up to five years in prison.