We use electricity every day to access entertainment and help keep our homes warm and bright. It’s so accessible and makes our lives so much more enjoyable that it’s easy to take it for granted and forget how dangerous it can be.
Every year, faulty electrics or electrical equipment cause around 70 deaths and 350,000 injuries in UK homes. But there are simple steps you can take to keep you and your family safe.
Electrical safety inspections
We undertake a full periodic inspection of all installations and equipment owned by us, every five years.
Electrical inspections are mandatory. As part of your tenancy agreement, you are legally obliged to provide access to your home for the five-yearly electrical inspection to be undertaken. Any installation left unchecked could leave you at risk of serious injury.
Electricity: the do’s and don’ts
- Don’t reconnect any electrical installations that have been disconnected. They have been isolated for your safety
- Don’t do it yourself! DIY wiring can lead to electrical parts overheating, causing fires, electric shocks and even death
- Don’t overload sockets. Plugging too many devices into one socket and over-using extension leads can cause fires by appliances overheating
- Do buy reputable electrical goods. Cheaper unofficial electrical products, such as phone chargers, may not meet safety regulations and can increase the risk of fire
- Do allow the electrical inspection to take place. Regular inspections are the best way to be sure electrical installations are
Find out more
You’ll find lots of electrical safety tips, as well how to check whether any of your older appliances have been issued with safety warnings on our electrical safety page
If you have your five-year electrical inspection soon, it’s very important for the health and safety of you and our colleagues that the social distancing two metre rule is followed. You can find out more about helping keeping everyone safe during essential repairs on our repairs and maintenance FAQs page.
If you’re concerned about allowing access due to Covid-19, you’re self-isolating or you just need to rearrange the appointment, please contact us
Other ways to make sure you’re winter ready
Visit our #WinterReady page to find lots of tips and links to services that could help you this winter.