Stay safe on Bonfire Night

fireworkHappy Bonfire Night to all Catalyst residents

Remember that fireworks can cause serious burns, so we recommend you go to an organised display tonight.

But if you’re having a bonfire or doing fireworks at home, follow our simple tips to make sure you stay safe whilst having fun.

  • Make sure your garden is big enough – bonfires should be at least 18 metres clear of any objects
  • Only use proprietary fire lighters to ignite bonfires, never use flammable liquids
  • Light fireworks at arm’s length using a taper and don’t go near a firework once it’s lit as it could still explode
  • Always keep fireworks in a closed box and use them one at a time
  • Never drink alcohol if you are tending a bonfire or setting off fireworks
  • Keep naked flames, including cigarettes, away from the bonfire or fireworks
  • Handle sparklers with care – they can reach temperatures of up to 1,000C and are not suitable for children under five-years-olds
  • Most, if not all, pets loathe fireworks so keep them inside and make sure they have a place to hide
  • Shut all windows and doors so lit fireworks don’t land or go into your home
  • Never leave a burning or smouldering bonfire unsupervised – make sure it’s completely out before you go

In the event of an emergency dial 999.