How can we help you?

Contact us

If you have a question and need to speak to us, we want you to be able to contact us in the way that suits you best. We’re here to help you with your query, Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm.

Contact us

Table of Contents
< All Topics

What do I need to know before I take on a lodger/rent out a room in my home?

If you are a leaseholder please check the terms of your lease, and contact us on 0300 456 2099 for further details.

If you rent your home from us, please read the below carefully:

  • You will need to get our written permission before renting out a room in your home
  • If you take in a lodger you will become their landlord, we will not be their landlord
  • It is your responsibility to check that your lodger has the Right to Rent, and you will be liable for any civil penalties if you do not do the checks correctly. For more information please see the GOV.UK website
  • We will only accept rent payments from you, our tenant, not from your lodger. Accepting money from a non-tenant may imply that they have a tenancy with us, which is not the case. Also, if a sub-tenant pays rent for your home we may assume that you have rented out the whole of your home and take action to evict you
  • Any income from lodgers may affect the amount of benefit that you receive. You should contact your Housing Benefit service and/or Department of Work and Pensions for further advice
  • You are responsible for the lodger’s behaviour in and around your home. We will take action against you if they do something that breaches the tenancy agreement, such as anti-social behaviour
  • Lodgers cannot hold us liable for disrepair; they must take action against you as their landlord. You would then need to take action against us as your landlord
  • In the event that you transfer, or are rehoused as part of improvement or regeneration work, it is your legal responsibility to ensure that the lodger or sub-tenant leaves the property
  • We will only accept emergency tenancy and/or customer service requests from a lodger or sub-tenant This includes,  for example, emergency repairs or health and safety issues, as long as we do not have to give out any personal information about you
  • Day-to-day requests must come through you as the main tenant, as normal.

Please ensure you do not sublet your home either entirely or partially, as this is not permitted under the terms of your tenancy agreement.

Once you have decided to go ahead, you need to ask Catalyst for written permission: You can request this from us by sending us an email or contacting us by post at Catalyst Housing, Ealing Gateway, 26–30 Uxbridge Road, London W5 2AU.

If you have any queries please email us at the address above or call us on 0300 456 2099.

Was this answer helpful to you?
How can we improve this answer?
Need help?
Previous What do I do if I think my neighbour is subletting?
Next What happens if my partner and I split and we are on the tenancy as joint tenants?