How can I save money on my water bills?
See the following for ideas on how to save money on your water bills:
- Switch to a water meter, it’s free and you’ll only be charged for the water you use. To find out if it’s worth switching, check the water meter calculator tool from the Consumer Council for Water.
Please note that if you wish to install a water meter, you will require authorisation from Catalyst if the meter is to be installed within the boundaries of Catalyst land (you do not require permission for meters installed in the pavement). Please email us or call us on 0300 456 2099.
- Fit water saving devices such as water efficient shower heads, low flow taps or flow regulators that can be fitted to existing taps, and ‘hippos’ that fit into your water cistern if you don’t have a dual flush button. Contact your water utility provider for more details.
- When you buy a new dishwasher or washing machine look out for details for the most water and energy efficient models.
- Take showers instead of baths – a five minute shower can save up to £25 on water bills.
- Turn off taps while brushing your teeth, shaving, or washing your face.
- Repair dripping taps.
- Use the sink, or a bowl to wash up dishes or vegetables, rather than a running tap.
If you live in the Oxford area, the Sustainability team can arrange for a Water Saving home visit from Thames Water. They will repair leaking taps and loos and install water saving devices.