Portobello Square Bullet Point Briefing: the latest on the regeneration
In the past month
- The first section of Athlone Gardens opened to the public on Monday 11 November
- The road realignment process has commenced, the first works included the removal of trees, new car park and flat access points and a road closure between Athlone Gardens and the Murchison House car park.
- We still expect moves into Bond Mansions to begin in January. The Rehousing Team have been busy with viewings for customers moving into Bond Mansions, and all residents moving in have now viewed their new home.
- We finished door knocking the whole estate to raise awareness of the Phase 3 proposals and gather more people’s feedback. If you weren’t in, we’ve left a card for you to get in touch with us. You can find the proposals here; please send any comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Members of the regeneration team visited the Wornington Green Community Group Coffee Afternoon to talk about the proposals for Phase 3.
- Catalyst and the Venture Centre held a Black History Month celebration on 25 October. This was a great event, and included networking sessions, poetry, singing, dancing, steel pan, guest speakers and more!
- A review of Catalyst Gateway’s work in the neighbourhood during the last year showed that for every £1 we have spent, a further £1.18 has been raised in match funding. Key achievements include:
- 2 ‘earn while you learn’ trainee positions, offering London Living Wage and access to accredited qualifications, created at Meanwhile Gardens with funding from Catalyst
- 6 part-time jobs directly supported through our projects
- 20 local women developing creative skills at the weekly textile workshops
- 25 local children enjoying a warm healthy meal after school each day and 120 children during the school holidays – that’s over 10,000 warm meals served to local children
- 32 local children gaining over 100 hours of extra tuition through Homework Club
- 38 local children attending 4-day ‘back to basics’ Summer Camp in Kent
- Over 70 local people improving their health & wellbeing with free specialist support from One You Kensington and Chelsea’s Healthy Lifestyle Adviser at Catalyst’s Community Shop
In the next month
- The first short road closure is due to finish in December. The rest of the link road will then close for the realignment works
- Works will continue on section two of Athlone Gardens. This will become a dog agility area, and is due to be completed in December.
- The drinking water fountain in Athlone Gardens is currently cordoned off as Thames Water haven’t connected the water supply yet. This is due to be completed in the next 5 weeks.
- Thames water will also be arranging with RBKC to close the footpath in front of Athlone Gardens on Portobello road as they connect the water supply. These works should only take a few days.
- The new footpath and garden areas of Bond Mansions are taking shape. Internal inspections and finishes on the new homes are continuing.
- The Rehousing team will continue to work with residents moving into their new homes. We will confirm moving dates soon, and will provide support in the lead up to residents’ moves.
- The Rehousing Team will be working to identify the most vulnerable residents around the next phase of demolition. We will work closely with each household to develop a tailored solution for them.
- Catalyst and the Wornington Green Community Group will be holding a Wornington Green & Portobello Square Christmas Party on Friday 6 December 6.00pm – 10.30pm at the Venture Centre. This is a free event and everyone is welcome – we look forward to seeing you there!