Portobello Square Bullet Point Briefing: the latest on the regeneration
In the past month
- Our rehousing team will be contacting the residents who have accepted their new home in Bond Mansions soon to put together their move plans. Residents who are moving into Bond Mansions and haven’t yet discussed their move plan should contact their Housing & Regeneration Co-ordinator . We expect these moves to begin in August.
- Wells House was separated from Olive Blythe House, and the high-reach excavator was delivered to the site. We are now ready to begin the demolition.
- The disconnection of electricity from Murchison and Wells Houses, and the UKPN cable diversion around Murchison House, were completed.
- Dust monitors have been erected around the demolition site to monitor air quality.
- United Living completed the final section of the community heating pipe and Wornington Road is now open again. No further road closures are planned as part of the construction of Bond Mansions.
- We have installed bollards to protect the footpath along the hoarding in the Murchison car park.
- We held two consultation events on the design of Phase 3, on Saturday 1 and Tuesday 4 June in Portobello Hall. 34 people visited over the two sessions to give their input on the commercial and community spaces in Phase 3; roads, paths and access; and the external appearance of the buildings. Ambassadors from the Design Working Group and Residents; Steering Group were on hand to talk to visitors, as well as colleagues from Catalyst and Conran & Partners. We held two consultation events on the design of Phase 3, on Saturday 1 and Tuesday 4 June in Portobello Hall. Take a look at the June 2019 exhibition boards, and fill in our online questionnaire to give us your views on the proposals.
In the next month
- We expect demolition of Murchison and Wells Houses to begin in the week beginning 10 June.
- Street parking along the Chesterton House side of the link road between Portobello Road and Wornington Road will be suspended on 10 June, ready for the demolition to begin.
- United Living continue to progress internal works in Bond Mansions, including floor finishes and installing internal doors. The stonework is almost complete at core 1 next to the college, so scaffold will now start to be removed.
- Our contractors are making good progress with the new Catalyst office in the commercial units on Portobello Road. We’re on schedule to open the new office on Monday 10 June.
- Catalyst will sponsor two arts and crafts stalls at the Golborne Festival on 7 July. The Portobello Square team will also show visitors the proposals for Phase 3 and gather the community’s feedback.
- Creation of the new kerb line for the new footpath to the front of Bond Mansions will continue.
- Gardens Community Association, with funding from Catalyst, will shortly be recruiting two new part time members of staff: a trainee gardener and a trainee playworker.
- Meanwhile Gardens Community Association, with funding from Catalyst, will shortly be recruiting two new part time members of staff: a trainee gardener and a trainee play worker. Trainees receive on-the-job training paid at the London Living Wage and will also attend college to get qualifications. Both posts will be advertised in late April and priority will be given to local residents.
- We’ve teamed up with One You Kensington and Chelsea, a public health funded project, offering free one-to-one personalised support sessions and access to a range of activities, to help residents make healthier lifestyle choices and improve their mental and physical wellbeing. Residents who are interested can drop into the Catalyst Community Shop (Paul House) on Wednesdays between 10am – 1pm, for a friendly chat with a Healthy Lifestyle Adviser. Alternatively, please call the One You K&C team on 020 3434 2500.