Portobello Square Bullet Point Briefing: the latest on the regeneration
In the past month
- On Bond Mansions, United Living continue to build the internal walls and install wiring and plumbing. Construction of the top floor, the roof and brickwork is proceeding.
- We’ve put up hoarding around Murchison and Wells Houses to keep the buildings and the public safe while we carry out preparations for demolition. Hard demolition will now begin early in 2019. This will be followed by the improvement of the road between Portobello Road and Wornington Road to create Murchison Gardens.
- We commenced works to lay a community heating pipe under Wornington Road, and connect it to the plant room in Phase 1.
- We’ve been promoting the Design Working Group for Phase 3 to residents of Wornington Green and Portobello Square and have had a good response, with both home owners and tenants signing up.
- The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea’s Parks department opened consultation on some proposed improvements to the current phase of Athlone Gardens, and visited Portobello Hall on 25 October with a drop-in exhibition.
- Two apprentice plumbers started work with United Living on the site of Bond Mansions.
- We delivered the latest edition of Here & Now, the regeneration newsletter.
- Clement James Into Work team has been offering local residents free weekly one-to-one employment advice and support at Catalyst Community Shop (308 Ladbroke Grove). The programme ended on 1 November.
In the next month
- United Living will continue works to Bond Mansions.
- We’ll proceed with stripping out fixtures and fittings in Murchison and Wells Houses, and carry out some ground investigations in the area of the new road, Murchison Gardens.
- We’ll continue work on installing the community heating pipe under Wornington Road. The contractors have applied to RBKC for an extension for this work until 31 November.
- Works to the plant room in Phase 1 will also continue with the installation of a temporary boiler on Bonchurch Road. This is to assist with installing the community heating pipe.
- We’ll continue engaging the local community in consultation on Phase 3, using outreach to local community groups.
- RBKC will continue to consult on proposed improvements to Athlone Gardens. You can view the proposals online and give your input until 21 November.
- North Kensington Women’s Textile Group is looking for new members. The group is led by a highly experienced tutor who leads textile design, sewing and clothes making workshops every Thursday (term-time only) 10am-3pm in the Venture Centre. For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.