Portobello Square Bullet Point Briefing: the latest on the regeneration
In the past month
- United Living have completed the installation of the first lift in Bond Mansions. Internal works are coming along well with finishes of the apartments underway, and kitchens and bathrooms are also being installed.
- United Living have started the perimeter brickwork and stonework on Bond Mansions and have quickly progressed to the east elevation.
- Two apprentices have begun their apprenticeship on site.
- Works to the plant room in Phase 1, to assist with the installation of the community heating pipe, were completed and the temporary boiler at the corner of Bonchurch Road and Athlone Place was removed.
- We held the first meeting of the Design Working Group for Phase 3 of Portobello Square. The group met with team members at Catalyst and Conran & Partners (architects), to discuss the terms of reference for the group and topics for future meetings.
- United Living carried out some ground investigations around the area where Murchison Gardens (the new straight link between Portobello Road and Wornington Road) will be built. This is to allow them to give us an informed estimate of the cost of creating Murchison Gardens.
- Newman Francis joined us as the new Independent Tenants’ Advisor for Wornington Green and Portobello Square in mid-January.
In the next month
- The final section of the community heating pipe works, in front of Bond Mansions, will be completed, subject to permission from the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
- Works to Bond Mansions will continue. United Living will be working on connecting the electricity; continuing with the internal finishes and external façade; and installing the lifts.
- United Living will begin to remove the scaffolding from Bond Mansions, so you’ll gradually see the outside of the building emerge!
- Homes for private sale in Bond Mansions will go on the market.
- Soft strip of Wells and Murchison will continue, in preparation for the demolition. We will also finish disconnecting the gas and electricity supply to the buildings. This will mean that some parking spaces on the link road between Portobello Road and Wornington Road are suspended for a short period.
- We also aim to redirect an electricity cable via the Murchison car park to make way for Murchison Gardens, subject to a start date for the work. This will mean that the car park cannot be used for around 4 weeks. The footpath alongside the car park will remain open throughout the works.
- United Living will carry out some improvements to the footpath from Portobello Road to Ladbroke Grove.
- Now that Murchison and Wells Houses are fully protected by hoarding, we’ll begin phasing out the security patrols around the area. We originally organised these to protect the buildings while they were empty and not hoarded. The patrols have also been working with the police to achieve a long-term reduction in anti-social behaviour.
- We are currently working with United Living to finalise the proposals on the improvements to Athlone Gardens that RBKC consulted on late last year. We hope to start work on these soon. The work is expected to take 12 weeks to complete, and will be done in phases so that some part of the park is open throughout the works. Athlone Gardens will still be owned and managed by RBKC – please look out for further communications from them.