Better homes: sustainable development
We are committed to making sustainability a core part of our new developments and existing homes.
- We are pushing the boundaries of sustainable development. The Greenway in Hounslow is our flagship sustainable scheme, built to level 6 of the Code for Sustainable Homes
- Our eco-homes project in Reading won the ‘sustainable smaller housing retrofit project of the year (fewer than 25 homes)’ award from the Sustainable Housing Awards
- Kingsgate, a new mixed tenure scheme on the King’s Road in Chelsea was the first major building project in the world to be PEFC certified (demonstrating that all the timber used was both sustainable and ethically sourced)
- We now have a sustainability and quality panel with a range of experts who are working to innovate and improve on our approach to sustainability
Our average score is 64.73 (from 2013 for rented properties) – compared to the national average of 63.**
Our ambition is to improve the average SAP to 72 by 2020.
To get to that score we are carrying out a rolling programme of improvements:
- loft and cavity wall insulation
- replacing all boilers at or near the end of their lifecycle with high-efficiency boilers
- integrating solar thermal collectors as part of upgrade/replacement work to communal heating systems
- replacing single-glazed windows with double-glazing
- draught-proofing windows and doors as part of our external cyclical repairs and decorations programme
- customer engagement and behaviour in the home to make the most from energy efficiency
For all of our new London homes we will build to Code for Sustainable Homes Level 4 – as required by the London mayor. Outside of London we build to a minimum of Level 3.
- Energy strategies exist for all our new developments and where possible we will use new technology in the form of solar energy, water efficiency and community heating.
We monitor and work with our contractors, suppliers and partners to ensure that they are sustainable in terms of their behaviour, and that sustainability is embedded throughout the development process.
Find out more
If you would like to find out more about our sustainability aims and ambitions please contact email@example.com
Note* We use SAP ratings to provide reliable assessments of our homes. SAP calculates the energy cost and carbon emissions generated to heat, light, ventilate and provide hot water to a property or building