Anti-social behaviour

We believe that everyone has a right to live in a home and neighbourhood free from excessive noise, vandalism, harassment and fear of crime.

What is anti-social behaviour?

Anti-social behaviour ranges from noise nuisance (such as playing loud music or carrying out noisy activities late at night) to serious crimes (such as drug dealing and violence). It can also include things like vandalism, graffiti or fly-tipping.

How we manage anti-social behaviour

To help us manage anti-social behaviour in our neighbourhoods we’ have a specialist anti-social behaviour team. This team works closely with our teams such as Catalyst Gateway to make sure victims of anti-social behaviour are supported throughout the investigative process. This is a bespoke service that we’re proud to offer to our residents.

The anti-social behaviour team also works with customers to ensure the best possible solution to their issues is reached. They do this by setting up a communication contract with the individual, which meets and is specific to their needs.

In addition, the team works closely with local agencies such as the police to make sure any appropriate action is fully coordinated so we can work together to try and resolve anti-social behaviour reports from our residents.

What can I do about anti-social behaviour?

Try to sort out minor issues like noise nuisance yourself. Speaking to your neighbour is often the quickest and easiest way to solve problems. We also arrange mediation as a way of helping neighbours resolve their conflict. This is where an independent person discusses the problem with everyone involved and helps them find a solution.

If the anti-social behaviour is on-going, please contact us. We’ll give you a diary sheet so you can keep an accurate record of any incidents – dates, times and what happened. This will help us collect evidence which we can use if we need to take the perpetrator to court.

In cases where you feel nothing is being done to tackle the anti-social behaviour you can request a review of the issue through a ‘community trigger’ by contacting your local authority.

If the problem is serious or repeated, please report it through our complaints and suggestions form and to the police. Remember that if you witness or are a victim of crime please report it to the police – call 999 for emergencies or 101 for non-emergencies.

How can I report anti-social behaviour?

What happens when I report it?

We investigate all reports of anti-social behaviour.

If you report it, we will:

  • acknowledge your report
  • give you a reference number
  • ask for evidence – we’ll send you diary sheets so you can keep an accurate record of what’s happened
  • once you have sent us the evidence (diary sheets), keep you informed about the progress
  • produce an action plan and make sure we keep you updated.

Please remember that we need accurate evidence from you about what has happened, who caused the incidents and what action has already been taken.

How long will it take us to respond?

This depends on how serious the situation is. In severe cases, which involve threats or violence, we will respond straightaway. For minor incidents it may take us up to seven days to get back to you.

The table below shows our response times for anti-social behaviour incidents:

Category Examples Response time
Severe Straightaway
  • Hateful or offensive graffiti
  • Serious noise disturbance
  • Non-violent racial harassment
  • Abandoned cars that are causing a danger
Within 24 hours
  • Non-violent unreasonable behaviour or intimidation
  • Suspicion of drug dealing or other illegal activity
  • Dumping rubbish and fly tipping
  • Neighbour disputes
Within three working days
  • Dog nuisance such as fouling or barking
  • Abandoned vehicles or inconsiderate parking
  • Non-offensive graffiti or non-dangerous vandalism
Within seven working days

What Catalyst can do about anti-social behaviour?

We work closely and in partnership with local residents, other voluntary and statutory agencies, the council
and police to take action against people who are causing distress to their neighbours.

There are several things we can do, depending on how serious the situation is. Actions include:

  • Writing to the residents concerned and arranging meetings with them
  • Arranging mediation sessions with the parties involved
  • If the problem persists, and you have strong and accurate evidence against the person causing the anti-social behaviour, we can take legal action and possibly evict the perpetrator